The Annual Meeting for the election of Board of Education Candidates and Annual Budget Vote has been rescheduled for Tuesday, June 9, 2020. All eligible voters will be mailed an absentee ballot which must be returned by 5:00 p.m. (E.D.S.T.) June 9, 2020 in a provided postage-paid envelope. Please look for an informational postcard that will be mailed to District residents soon.
Anonymity of Absentee Ballots
- We use your name and address on the envelope to confirm you are a qualified voter as compared to our voter registration rolls.(The rolls are prepared by Onondaga County in conjunction with Bold Systems an independent 3rd party voting company)
- At 5:00 p.m. we will open all envelopes, remove the folded ballot and place the folded ballot in the sealed ballot box.
- We then place all the envelopes that contained the folded ballots in a separate container, apart from the folded ballots.
- We then open the sealed ballot box and remove all of the ballots.
- The ballots will then be unfolded and divided between our election inspector teams for tabulation.
- The election inspector teams will tally their portion of the absentee ballots.
- All subtotals of ballots will be combined to generate the final vote totals.
- The vote totals will be announced, transmitted to the media and reported on our website.
Any qualified voter may challenge the qualifications of an individual casting an absentee ballot.
The qualifications of any individual submitting an absentee ballot may be challenged
The basis for challenges includes:
- Voter is not 18 years old as of June 9, 2020;
- Voter is not a United States citizen;
- Voter has not been a District resident for 30 days prior to June 9, 2020;
- Voter is not disqualified from voting (felony conviction, for example); and
- In Districts using a system of personal registration only: the voter is not registered with either the County Board of Elections or the District.
A list of all persons to whom absentee ballots were issued must be available to both the public and the Election Inspectors.
Before opening any envelopes, the Election Inspectors must review any written objections received by the District Clerk. (These are received prior to the election, based on inspection of the list to whom ballots were issued.)
Election Inspectors should also review any objections made on June 9, 2020.
Challenges must be able to be received on June 9, 2020 – These can be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The challenge must include the following:
The Name of The Voter Who’s Eligibility You Are Challenging
The Reason of the Challenge
The Deadline for Challenges is 5:00 pm on June 9, 2020
Am I Registered?
Click here to see if you are registered. If you cannot find your name utilizing this link, it is not too late to get registered. If you are not on our eligible registration listing on this site, please email email@example.com.
Information for Filing Nominating Petitions
PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that petitions for nominating candidates for office must be filed in the District Clerk’s office by 5:00 p.m. on May 11, 2020. Under NYS Governor Executive Order No. 202.26, there is no minimum threshold of signatures required on a nominating petition this year. Candidates must:
- Be able to read and write.
- Be a qualified voter of the District. A qualified voter of the District is a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years of age or older and not adjudged to be an incompetent.
- Be and have been a resident of the District for a continuous and uninterrupted period of at least one year immediately before the election.
- Have not been removed from any school district office within the preceding year.
- Not reside with an other member of the same school board as a member of the same family.
- Not be a current employee of the school board.
- Not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office.
Voting Information – Q&A
Who is Eligible to Vote – You are eligible to vote on June 9, 2020 if you are a U.S. citizen, 18 years or older, and have been a District resident for at least 30 days prior to the vote. Questions? Call the District Clerk at 315-487-4563.
When and Where is the Budget Vote? – The Annual Budget Vote and Election of Candidates will be held by absentee ballot only this year per NYS Governor’s Executive Order. All absentee ballots received by 5:00 pm will be opened and tallied at the West Genesee Central School District District Office building.
Can I Vote by Absentee Ballot? – All votes will be by absentee ballot for 2020-21. All registered eligible voters will receive a ballot with a postage-paid return envelope in the mail. Absentee ballots must be received by the District Clerk no later than 5:00 p.m. on June 9, 2020.
What if I do not receive a ballot in the mail? – If you do not receive a ballot by June 2, 2020, and are an eligible voter, please email Paul E. Pelton, District Clerk at firstname.lastname@example.org.