Printable Version of West Genesee High School Summer Reading Brochure
- Summer Reading List for Students Going into Ninth Grade
- Summer Reading List for Students Going into Tenth Grade
- Summer Reading List for Students Going into Eleventh Grade
- Summer Reading List for Students Going into Twelfth Grade
- Summer Reading list for AP Language & Composition
- Summer Reading List/Summer work for AP Literature Summer
- Welcome Letter and Reading List for OCC English Students
Summer Reading Books
- West Genesee High School Library has digital books through Sora. Click here for directions.
- Get your library card and borrow from your local public library: https://www.onlib.org/events/summer-learning/summer-learning-age-activities-teens
Public Library Programs
Fairmount Community Library Summer Program
Maxwell Memorial Library Summer Reading Program
Onondaga Free Library Summer Reading Program
Solvay Public Library Summer Reading Program
Summer Reading at NY Libraries
For over 20 years, the English Department has sponsored a Summer Reading Program for students entering grades 9-12. The philosophy behind the program has always remained the same: to encourage students to read more by introducing them to contemporary novels that are pleasurable, yet worthwhile stories in the hope that they will become lifelong readers. Each child is required to read one title from the list for the upcoming grade level.
A committee of parents, students, and teachers has selected the list for each grade level. Effort has been made to address relevant issues in a responsible and thoughtful manner. Consideration has also been given to include books that offer a range of reading levels. It is our hope that this program will be a shared experience between students and parents. Therefore, it is highly recommended that parents assist their child in the selection of a book that is appropriate for him/her. Parents are encouraged to visit the West Genesee High School Library website for the lists, information about locating books, and access to book reviews.
The individual classroom English teacher will assign a project based on the books when the students return to class in September.
We advise that students take notes or keep a journal as they read so they can better recall information which will be reviewed and assessed in their respective English classes when they return to school in September.
Students enrolled in Advanced Placement English will complete the readings assigned by those teachers in lieu of one of the novels from this list.
The books listed in this brochure may be:
- borrowed at your local public library.
- purchased online or at local bookstores.
- downloaded (in many cases) in the form of eBooks and audiobooks from the WGHS Library-OverDrive.
We believe the Summer Reading Program is a positive learning experience for our children. If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions related to the program, please call the High School: 315-487-4601.
If you have any trouble accessing the PDF documents on this page, please contact the Publications Office at email@example.com or call (315) 487-2179.