School Board Governance and Operations
Organization of the Board
Board Reorganizational Meeting
The Board of Education recognizes its obligation to hold an annual reorganizational meeting. The purpose of the reorganizational meeting shall be to elect officers of the Board and make the proper appointments and designations of other district employees for the proper management of the school district during the school year. The Board shall also perform such annual functions as are designated by law.
The annual reorganizational meeting of the Board of Education is generally held the first Tuesday in July, or on Wednesday if Tuesday is a legal holiday. The Board of Education may, however, by resolution, determine that its annual meeting be held at any time during the first fifteen (15) days of July.
The meeting shall be called to order by the District Clerk, who shall preside until the election of a new president. The order of business to be conducted at the reorganization meeting shall include the following items required or implied by state law and/or regulation:
- Administration of Oath
The District Clerk shall administer the oath of office to newly elected Board members. Such oath shall conform to Article XIII-1 of the Public Officers Law; the Clerk shall countersign the oath. No new Board member shall be permitted to vote until he/she has taken the oath of office.
- Election of Officers
The Board shall elect a president and vice-president for the ensuing year, and the District Clerk shall administer the oath of office to them. A majority of all members of the Board shall be necessary for a valid election.
- Appointment of Officers
The Board shall appoint the following district officials:
- District Treasurer
- Internal Claims Auditor(s)
- District Clerk Deputy
- Internal Claims Auditor
- Acting District Clerk
- Tax Collector
- Deputy District Treasurer
- Other Appointments
The Board shall appoint and establish the stipend (if any) for the following positions:
- District Auditor
- Central Treasurer
- Asbestos Designee
- Extra Classroom Activity Account
- Appointing Officer
- Records Access Officer
- School District Attorneys
- Workers’ Compensation Consortium Designee
- School District Internal Auditor
- Central New York Health Trust Designee
- Medicaid Compliance Officer
- Third Party Administrator – District Benefit Plan
- Records Management Officer
- Bonding of Personnel
The Board shall bond the following personnel handling district funds:
- Tax Collector
- District Treasurer
- District Deputy Treasurer
- Central Treasurer of Student Activity Account (if any)
The Board shall, in each instance, specify the amount of the bond it intends to obtain.
The Board shall designate:
- Official depositories for district funds
- Official district newspapers
The Board shall authorize:
- a person to certify payrolls
- a school purchasing agent
- attendance at conferences, conventions, workshops, etc., with designated
- establishment of petty funds and custodians (and the amount of such funds)
- a person(s) to authorize signatures on checks as well as the use of facsimile signatures
- the Superintendent of Schools to approve budget transfers
- the Superintendent of Schools to make temporary personnel and impartial hearing officer appointments.
- Other Items:
The Board shall establish:
- the day and hour for the holding of regular meetings, which shall be at least once each month while school is in session, in the rooms provided for the Board, unless otherwise ordered by the Board
- annual disclosure of outside business interests
- any other items it deems appropriate to enhance district operations.
The Board shall conduct general business at this meeting before it adjourns, if it so desires.
Update Presentation: 3/18/15
First Vote: 4/1/15
Second Vote: 4/15/15