Vaccination Information for Students
NYS Department of Education Requirements:
Please note: There is a 14 day window (from the 1st day of school) to complete ALL vaccination requirements or the student will be excluded from school until all vaccination requirements have been met.
Tdap: (Tetanus, diphtheria and acellular pertussis vaccine)
- All students, 11 years old by the first day of school in the fall, must have a Tdap vaccine.
- If the student is 10 years old upon entry into the 6th grade in the fall, he/she must have the Tdap vaccine as soon as they turn 11 years old. Please call your physician and make your Tdap appointment.
- Student must have 2 doses to enter 6th grade.
- If the student had the disease Chickenpox, verification of the disease is required. Accepted forms of Varicella verification include: Blood test that proves immunity or documentation of disease from your health care provider.
Meningococcal Vaccination Requirement
Students entering 7th grade student must have 1 dose of Meningococcal Vaccine.
Students entering 12th grade must have 2 doses of Meningococcal Vaccine
OR 1 dose if the dose was received at age 16 or older.
Diphtheria / Tetanus / Pertussis Vaccine: 5 doses or 4 doses if the 4th dose was given at age 4 or older
Polio: 4 doses or 3 doses if the 3rd dose was given at age 4 or older
Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR): 2 doses
Hepatitis B: 3 doses
Varicella (Chickenpox): 2 doses
Please provide the most up-to-date record of immunizations to the student’s health office, and you can contact your child’s health office with any questions.
Physical Examinations: NYS Department of Education Physical Exams Requirements for Entry:
- All new entrants
- All students in grades K, 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11.
- The physical must be within one year prior to the first day of school.
- If your student has a current physical, please send a copy to the nurse’s office
Hearing and Vision Screening
it is suggested that schools notify parents when hearing and vision screenings are going to take place. Students in grades K, 1, 3, 5, 7, and 11 as well as newly enrolled students within 6 months of admission to school, who did not have a hearing and/or vision screening noted on their physical exam, require screening in school.
For information about registering your student, go to the Registration Section of the website at: https://www.westgenesee.org/district-services/registration/.
If you are not sure which school your child should attend, contact the Central Registration at 315-487-4683. Call them prior to registration so your name may be placed on a mailing list to receive information regarding the start of school.
When registering, parents should bring proof of immunizations, proof of age, and proof of residency.
A physical examination is also required and a dental certificate is requested for entry into kindergarten. These examinations should be done up to one year prior to the first day of school. Children who enter kindergarten this fall must be five years of age on or before December 1, 2018. Immunization requirements are located above.
Sports Physical Examinations
Students signing up for sports must have a physical exam within one year of the start of the season . The examination form is available below.